Saturday, August 17, 2013

Slurge or Save? Moroccan Argan Hair Oil


Hair oil is really popular/on tend, especially argan moroccan oil. I have always used hair oil, because I have very dry curly hair. I need intense and conditioning hydration so hair oil is a great fix. I like to rotate between argan oil and olive oil because I find that my hair builds up a tolerance when I use just one type of oil for too long. I have been trying out different hair oils and the two that stand out are the Agadir Argan Oil and the Garnier Fructis Moroccan Sleek Oil. I purchased both of these oils at the drugstore, but the Agadir oil is a pretty expensive drugstore product. Agadir Argan Oil retails of 20 dollars while the Garnier oil cost $6.


Agadir Argan Oil Hair Treatment
Agadir is a really nice hair oil. It is not spectacular or special it just a good hair oil. The product has a nice sweet scent that isn't overwhelming. The oil has a dry formula that soaks into your hair for a barely there feeling. The consistency is very watery, this isn't a thick oil so be careful when dispensing. Because this oil is so watery I always end up making a bit of a mess, the oil just runs off my hand and onto the floor.
The oil is alcohol free, so it isn't sneakily drying. Hair oils are supposed to be uber motorizing but, then a lot of companies put alcohol in them. So counterproductive, alcohol dries out your hair and is so bad or it. Something that tells me off the bat that this is a good product is the ingredients list. This product only contains 6 ingredients, meaning that this is pure argan oil and not filled with substitutes and fillers.
I like the packaging with this product. The bottle contains 4 Fl. Oz and has a twist of cap. The top of the bottle has a little rubber seal with a hole in it for controlled dispensing. All you do is turn the bottle to the side and gently squeeze. I like to use a palm full and run it all over my hair. I then take a few extra drops and put it on my ends and a bit on my roots.

Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Moroccan Sleek Oil Treatment
I have some mixed feelings about this hair oil. I usually like Garnier hair products, they are inexpensive, smell good and work well. But, this for me is a dud. This is dry oil, but has thicker consistency than the Agadir. The oil does absorb well into the hair, but put just a little bit too much and you become a grease ball. I don't like putting this oil on my roots because I get a lot of product build up and greasiness. 


Unfortunately this oil isn't alcohol free. I don't understand why anyone would put alcohol in a hair oil it just doens't make sense. Another disappointment is that this product has a large list of ingredients. There is a lot of stuff in this oil that isn't actual argan oil. This product has 13 ingredients, twice the amount that the Agadir has. 


The packaging is classic a plastic bottle with a pop to open cap. The bottle holds 3.75 Fl Oz, so a little less than the Agadir oil. Honestly you can't beat the price of this oil for 6 dollars it is a good deal. I just wish that the formula didn't have alcohol. I do like that the bottle is made of a translucent plastic so I am able to see how much product I have left. 

Final Thoughts 
You get what you pay for. The Agadir oil is more expensive but it is better quality. In general when shopping for hair oil go with the product that has no alcohol and doesn't have a laundry list of ingredients. The Garnier oil isn't horrible, but isn't equal to the Agadir oil. If you are looking to save some money then definitely get the Agadir oil; you don't have to use as much product because it is a better quality. 

Run Down

Agadir Oil: 
 Pros
  • Doesn't contain alcohol 
  • Doesn't contain, filler ingredients
Cons
  • Is expensive $20
  • The consistency is a little thin and can be messy
 Garnier Fructis Oil: 
 Pros
  • An affordable product $6
  • Thicker oil and doesn't slide off your hands 
 Cons:
  • Contains alcohol
  • Has tons of fill ingredients 
  • Creates very greasy hair when too much is applied

No comments:

Post a Comment