Friday, August 16, 2013

Rave it and Hate it Curls Unleashed vs. Dr.Miracles

Like all curly haired people, I am always searching for that miracle hair product that tames, and gives me that "perfect curl" look. The amount of products that I have bought, and tried is a never ending list. I am a multiple product kind of girl, one just can never get the job done. I like to use a hair oil, cream/moisturizer and conditioner. I know, I put a lot of junk in my locks. So it is very important to me that the products I use are good and don't break the bank. Because, I go through bottles and bottles of product monthly. I recently tried out two new hair products and have been testing them out for about a month now. One I love and it is a rave the other is well. . . not so good and it is a hate.


My hair type:
I have 3B curly hair which means my curls are defined ringlets that are like a spring or a coil. They are about the size of a sharpie, but can be smaller at times. I can straighten my hair but it takes hours of hard sweaty work. My hair is soft, but not very shiny. Overall I have manageable hair, but it takes work and lots of love. Products that work the best with my hair are creams and gels that help moisturize and tame my friz. When my hair is dry (without product) it completely looses all of its curly pattern; the ringlets clump together to create one huge mass of kinky frizz.


The Rave: Curls Unleashed Leave-In Conditioner


Overall
  • This product is a liquid cream conditioner made with vitamin E, shea butter, coconut oil, and olive oil. It is best used after you have showered or gotten your hair wet. It is light weight and doesn't weigh your hair down. It absorbs into your strands very fast because the consistency is light. This isn't a stand alone product and should be part of a hair regime. It is a moisturizer, and makes my hair feel soft and silky. 

Packaging
  • The product comes in a classic squeeze shampoo or conditioner bottle with a press to open cap. The bottle has a flat bottom and can stand on its own on a counter-top or in a medicine cabinet. The bottle contains 12 FL OZ of product which is a good amount and will last me a while. I like the packaging, it is easy to dispense and store. I am able to fit the bottle into a makeup bag and take it to the gym easily. 
 Formula
  • The creme is very liquidy which makes the product easy to coat every stand of hair in. It is a light formula so it doesn't over quench your hair, or make it sticky with product. The creme is a yellow color and smells fruity. The smell is very strong in your hands and in the bottle but has no scent in your hair. I like to use a palm full and spread it all over my hair root to tip. This product is a good day time moisturizer. It does its job and makes my hair soft and controls frizz. This product doesn't clog up my roots and doesn't give me intense build up. I really love this product because it absorbs into my hair quickly and drys soft and not crunchy. 
Final Thoughts. . .
Curls Unleashed Leave-In Conditioner is a great product that you can find in the drugstore. It also doesn't cost much the bottle was about 10 dollars. I think that this product is definitely worth 10 ducks and I would pay more for it. I am going to repurchase this, and I'm super happy that I discovered it. I would recommend this to any one with curly or wavy hair. This isn't a stand alone product but, it works great with other products. It moisturizes, defines and fights frizz what more could a girl ask for.

The Hate: Dr.Miracles Curl Care Weightless  Moisturizing Creme


Overall
  • This product is a cream but reminds me more of paste. It comes in a tub and is way too thick to be dispensed by a squeeze top or a pump. This product is very thick and is almost gel-like. It has vitamin E, and coconut but you would never know because this product is like vapor rub for your hair. It reeks of menthol, the scent is so strong that it makes me nauseous. It is very heavy, and gives it a chalky texture when it drys. If any of the product gets on your neck your entire scalp and neck with tingle for hours. 
Packing
  • The creme comes in tub with a screw off top. The tub is very large, and takes up major space on my sinks counter-top in my bathroom. The tub contains 8 Oz which is a lot of product considering how thick the consistency is. The label on the tub is very misleading considering no where except on the ingredients does it mention the menthol. When I opened this for the first time I was shocked by the smell.

Formula
  • The packaging claims that this product "helps hold curls for up to 12 hours". This product doesn't do that. The formula is a gel-like creme and makes your hair feel heavy and saturated with gunk. It is hard to evenly distribute and tends to clump in one area. The product smells awful. It is pure menthol, it smells in the tub and it smells in your hair. It makes your whole head tingle and your neck. It took multiple hand washings to get the tingling on my palms to stop. When my hair dried with this product in, my hair wasn't soft, but chalky and stiff. This product is also difficult to wash out and I need to used a strong shampoo to get rid of the weird texture that it creates. 
Final Thoughts. . .
I really don't like this product. It didn't work for me and the smell is intolerable. I really dislike the smell and feeling of menthol. This product gives me a head ache when I use it. If you are a fan of menthol you might love it but, I do not. It costs about 9 dollars so luckily it wasn't super expensive. I hate to waste products so I do still use this. It is tolerable when I put this in my hair after I shower at night. The cooling feeling can be nice before I go to bed, and somewhat relaxing. I could get over the scent if this left my hair silky, smooth and frizz free but, it doesn't. The chalky, stiff texture that it creates is horrid. I will not be repurchasing this product and can't wait till I use it all up so I can throw it away.

I Hope that this review was helpful. Definitely will keep you guys updated on my favorite curly hair products. I am currently toying with the idea of doing a hair routine post explaining what I do in the shower, out of the shower, at night etc. So look out for that because it will be coming soon.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment