Sunday, April 12, 2015

Coastal Scents 88 Warm Palette. . . Disappointing

I purchased this palette at the beginning of last year so I could play around and I have a one stop shop eyeshadow palette for my kit. The palette has 88 eyeshadows so I really took my time experimenting. Now after a year I am ready to review it.



I purchased this palette on Costalscents.com and it retails for around 17 dollars. I bought in on sale for a few dollars less during the a flash sale on the website. The palette is a sturdy matte black case with a mix of matte and shimmer eyeshadow. Each eyeshadow is the size of a dime and I did the math and each little pan contains .025 oz of shadow. That is basically nothing but because there are so many colors it is ok. The palette doesn't have much organization. The colors are grouped together pretty much randomly. Shimmers next to mattes and colors aren't really separated into families. In general I would say it is separated into loose sections . One with light whites colors, silver/grays, midtone peach/brown, purples, and browns. 



A lot of the shadows are very similar to each other. If you took away all of the repeats this palette really should have about 20 colors in it. The pigmentation in this palette is hit or miss even with a good base. The formulation isn't the same as the hot pots. Most of the shadows are powdery and just blend away into nothing. The dark colors matte colors are ok and some of the light highlight shades are nice. A few of the colors in the palette are really random there are two light pink shades and a blue color that isn't cohesive.





If you are looking for a great multipurpose neutral palette I would each great your own palette using the Hot Pots or buy one of the revealed palettes. If you are totally new to makeup and have no eyeshadows what so ever than I might suggest purchasing this. You can't really go wrong because the shades are so lightly pigmented.




I think I might deconstruct the palette and take out my favorite colors and put them in a z-palette. The palette is pretty large so it takes up a lot of space. I would rather make it more compact with the colors that have the best color pay off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment