Sunday, February 15, 2015

Shade Range and Drugstore Makeup

So this isn't something that I normally do but I just feel a huge need to express all of these feelings that I have inside. For a while now I have been professionally doing makeup and my eyes have really opened to something I knew was a problem before but now I feel super passionate about it. That problem is the shade range in inexpensive makeup, or that there are no/very few foundations for women of color. Don't get me started on concealer because there are even less shades.


I always was aware that when I went into a drugstore to get foundation I had an abundance of options. I have a light skin with yellow undertones. I have privilege in life because of my skin color; makeup included. Usually I am the second lightest shade in any drugstore or inexpensive foundation. When looking at shade ranges at the drugstore it goes like this 

Ivory, Buff (whatever that means), Vanilla, beige, tan, fresh beige, almond, medium beige. 

Lets be honest medium beige by no means is the darkest skin-tone that exists. In fact there are a million more variations of dark skin after medium beige. In some cases medium beige is too light for me to even use as a contour, that is ridiculous and it needs to change. Only a few brands carry dark foundations. I hate that when I have to buy foundations and concealers that are darker than someone with a medium skin I have to go to a niche brand which aren't always stocked in my local drugstores. When stocking my kit I usually have to spend way more money to get a good foundation for women of color. Makeup is so universal, so many women wear it and there needs to be a change. 

Two of my favorite brands that carry amazing products a lot of them aimed for makeup artists (on the cheap) are ELF and NYX. Though I love them dearly but they are the worse offenders when it comes to lack of shades. At most they will have 5-8 shades in a foundation. The darkest being a light golden tan color. 

The bottom line is everyone should be able to buy inexpensive makeup at matches their skin-tone. Not that many people have 30-40 dollars to shell out on a foundation that will last them maybe a few months. So please companies produce more shades.

To end things on a positive note Bh Cosmetics has beautiful foundation shades for women of color and you can get their liquid foundation for under 5 dollars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment